Title

My Joys, Trials, and Lessons in Motherhood

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Who’s Behind the Mustache?



Dress up is a favorite of most girls. My girls particularly enjoy putting on flowing dresses, big hats, sunglasses, and crowns. Recently, we held a Junior High girl’s activity at my house. We had a screen set up with some dress up items for them to wear. My fellow leader, Kylee, created these mustaches on a stick for us to use for fun during the picture taking. Everyone enjoyed the mustaches and later we found ourselves using them just to talk to each other. Everyone began chatting in their own fake accent that they would use while asking questions or commenting throughout the brunch. Everything seems funnier when said with a big mustache over your mouth!

Later that day, as I was cleaning up from the brunch my mind thought about the mustaches. First of all, I’m horrible at any type of accent! I cannot get a British, Irish, Indian, or even Spanish (which I AM!) to sound right. I never even attempt them. However, I was talking in an accent-it was probably a conglomeration of quite a few accents-most of the brunch. I felt comfortable because I had this silly mustache over my face and it seemed ok.

Often as a Christian and a Mom I wear my fake mustache. I don’t want to show my shortcomings to my children and I want to look like I have it all together to those around me. Lately, I’ve really been trying to become transparent to my children, this is extremely hard. As I was discussing sin with my son, I began to share an evident sin I struggle with. It was amazing to see how he leaned in very attentive to each word I said. I explained that as an adult I still will struggle with sins in my life. I’m still so in need of the cross. However, as I strive in my walk with the Savior I know I can overcome this sin. With His help, my spirit will over power my flesh. After we talked, he gave me this hug and said, “Thanks Mom, for sharing that with me.” It was truly humbling to take off a mustache and admit to my 11 year old that I sin and am VERY far from perfection. I didn’t inform him of anything new, he’s seen my sin before-all I did was show him transparency can go a long way.


*Above pic is my dear friend Kylee and I with our mustaches. :)

1 comment:

  1. love the mustache object lesson...and the reminder to Live Real in front of my kids!!

    ReplyDelete