Title

My Joys, Trials, and Lessons in Motherhood

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Facing a Fear

Anyone who has known me very long learns that I have a great fear. Now, it may seem laughable, but I’m truly, completely, horrifyingly, afraid of bugs. Yep, bugs. Big ones, little ones, doesn’t matter I just can’t do it. Well, yesterday I conquered a fear.

My father is The Critter Keeper. He holds educational and birthday party shows for children. He has a Critter Cabin full of, well just that, Critters. I have no problem holding the snakes and iguanas, but when he brings out the Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, Scorpions, or Vinegaroons, my stomach turns and I’m outta there!

My nephews are here and my dad did a mini Critter Keeper show for his grandchildren. Each child held the scorpion and then my sweet son looks at me and says, “Mom, will you hold it?” I responded with a hearty “Um. No!” He looks at me and says, “You should do it. You need to face your fear.” Well look who’s all grown up telling his Mom what to do. He was so right. I encourage my children to always face their fears. We tell them that fear is crippling, and here I was fearful of this “big” scorpion. So after several deep breaths and a few “wait, I’m not ready!” I did it. I held a big, creepy scorpion. Now, I wish I could say that I’m no longer afraid of these things, but that’s not really true. However, I now have an awesome example of a day that Mom faced a fear that I can remind my children. On the days, that they’re afraid to stand up for truth-Mom held a scorpion. On the day, that they’re afraid to talk to the new kid in class-Mom held a scorpion. On the day, that they are being pushed out of their comfort zone-Mom held a scorpion. Now, if I could just bring myself to kill a spider………I held a scorpion, I held a scorpion, I held a scorpion.

3 comments:

  1. AAahh ha ha! I admire your bravery! I was laughing through this whole entire post thinking of all those roaches in our old apartment :) I think there were even some tears involved back in the day, so I'm incredibly impressed that you held a scorpion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Missy! Silly Gracie and her roach gifts! We had many good times in the apartment days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop laughing!!!! You are a better woman than I! Good job! Take one for the team! Lol

    ReplyDelete